Broody Leghorn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CluckyJay, Jan 31, 2012.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I think my pearl-white leghorn hen from McMurray wants to go broody. She will probably fail, huh? lol

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe, I don't know, but they don't have much fluff to keep chicks warm. We'll see what happens.. [​IMG]

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I figure she'll sit for a while and then quit. That's what I have been reading anyway, lol. She gets all upset if I try and take the eggs so I am just gonna let her lay a clutch.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If she is still laying eggs, she is not really broody. When they go broody, they stop laying eggs.

I've had hens that act broody. The spend a lot of time on the nest and walk around fluffed up and making that broody noise. But they continue to lay eggs and do not spend nights in the nest. They roost instead.

If she is truly broody, the eggs are not hers. Either other hens are laying in her nest or she is carrying them back to her nest. They will do that.

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    No, she isn't ready-set-broody. She was acting broody. She is still laying an egg a day in the nest. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by