Broody Leghorn!

SilkiesForEver

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Alright, so, I'm torn. I love having broodies, since it is an excuse for having chickies.
wink.png
And, I would let her brood, but I also have entered her in the upcoming fair in May. The eggs would hatch about 4 days before the show, and that just can't happen. So.. I am asking to see if anyone has really used a breaking method, and have found it to be very reliable.

Thanks very much!

Wouldn't it work out if you took her to the show and took care of the babies while she was at the show? How long is the show?
I thought about this, and came to the conclusion that if I did do this (I was thinking about it for awhile), she would act like a momma hen during the show which is about a week long. And, since the rules specifically say "No hens with chicks allowed. NO EXCEPTIONS" I can't allow her to be broody.
sad.png
I would absolutely LOVE for her to raise chicks though.

Quote: Boy, they're really specific about their rules...

Well, some people have recommended putting ice cubes under the hen... I don't really like that idea. I broke my hen a while back by simply getting her off the nest constantly! You can also put her in a pen, which some have called the "Broody Buster" so that she'll be isolated from eggs to brood and she'll (possibly) stop being broody after a while.

Good luck!

The most reliable method is to put her in a wire-bottomed cage with no bedding for three to five days. Some people put the cage up on blocks or legs so that the air flows underneath. I've never had a broody continue to sit with this method. And yes, our wire cage is the "broody buster."

I think ice cubes are a mean and unreliable method.

Alrighty, so I have decided to let her remain broody. After inspecting her, I found she had plucked a lot of feathers from her underbelly. I don't think she would be in good condition for the show. The entry fee I paid for her, will become a donation to our county fair.

Her eggs are due on Monday!
big_smile.png

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Alrighty, so I have decided to let her remain broody. After inspecting her, I found she had plucked a lot of feathers from her underbelly. I don't think she would be in good condition for the show. The entry fee I paid for her, will become a donation to our county fair.

Her eggs are due on Monday!
big_smile.png

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Haha, good for you! (And her...)

Alright... so.... Coko the broody leghorn will never be broody again. She killed her chick which hatched only a few minutes ago.
sad.png
Poor baby.

She had her chance. Now she's just going to be the good layer she was before.

Alright... so.... Coko the broody leghorn will never be broody again. She killed her chick which hatched only a few minutes ago.
sad.png
Poor baby.

She had her chance. Now she's just going to be the good layer she was before.
Aw, I'm so sorry! How awful! Poor baby, indeed!
hugs.gif
What about the other babies?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom