broody leghorn!!

xxnativewolfxx

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
central PA
I have always heard that white leghorns were the BEST layers and they NEVER go broody but I have three leghorn hens amongst my flock and last spring my one hen went broody and she raises 14 light brahma chicks I put them under her and she was a AWSOME mother but I thought It was a one time thing but now I go up to my coop to find ALL THREE!!! of my leghorns are flat faced BROODY is this normal?? because from all that I heard they NEVER go broody! I mean im not complaining because I think its great but I was just curious if eny one else has had this happen?

It is rare. The broody gene has for the most part been breed out of them but deep deep down in the genetic code it may still lie in individual birds.
To have one actually remain broody and set the necessary three weeks so the eggs hatch is even more rare.
I have one white leghorn that for the last two years goes broody for about a week.
To have three is very rare. I might buy a lottery ticket if I were you.

yea that's what I thought after reading about it that it was RARE lol im takeing your advice and im going out and buying me a lotto! lol yea that's what I thought about in spring when she was broody I dident think she would stay on it but man she did! and now im just going to put fake eggs under them just to see how long they stay broody!

It is rare, and folks will swear blind a leghorn won't go broody, but we have heard of them on byc. I think I've heard of pretty much every breed going broody, including leghorns and the red sex link varieties.

We have one that just went broody on a wooden egg. Trying to break her by piling all kinds of stuff in her nest. She nests in our mango tree, in a small well at the top of the main trunk. We've laid bird houses, ceramic pots, and shoes in there, and she's still insistent and sits near it. Thinking about throwing her in a wire cage for a few days to break her completely. We have no males, so she'd be sitting for nothing.

Brandon

Back
Top Bottom