broody little hen...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Just Fluff, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Just Fluff

Just Fluff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    I have a mutt hen that has decided to go broody on me over the last few days. I pull the eggs from her, but the next day, there is at least one more egg, as it's a popular laying spot. Any clues as to how to get her to come out of her broodiness? She hatched out a batch earlier this spring, so they're all grown up. Thinking she misses her babies and wants more, but I don't want any chicks hatched in the winter as I'm not set up to be able to separate them to make sure they get food. Should I isolate her where there would be no eggs for her to lay on unless she happens to lay her own? How long will it be for her to snap out of it? (Night temperatures have been in the single digits off and on over the last week, so I sure don't want any baby chicks!)

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Keep her away from the nest boxes for at least a week or more. That will broody break her... usually.

3. Just Fluff

Just Fluff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    That could be a bit difficult, as where she is laying is in the main coop. There's a big barrel full of hay that the hens like to lay eggs in that sits beside the nesting boxes. I could pull it out or cover it for a few days or so, see how that works. (Tonight she was laying in the barrel as usual, but there were no eggs in it for her to lay on.) But then, she'll probably just move over to one of the nesting boxes. Or not. Could be worth a shot. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by