1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Mallard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bbqsfarm, Mar 24, 2013.

1. bbqsfarm

bbqsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    I have a mallard hen that has been nesting. He eggs are not fertile. I have access to some that are. If I switched out the eggs would she hatch them out if not hers? How would I go about it.

Move her current nest to the pen and fill with eggs or take the eggs away and see if she builds another? Or could I slip in ducklings from another hen?

2. ANMwoodducks

ANMwoodducks Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    I have added eggs to nests and sometimes they accept them, sometimes they dont. I think it depends on the hen. Ussually mine will accept them. I have also tryed moving nests and i would not recommend doing this. I have had success but if you move it your risking her giving it up completely. If its early in the season and you take away the eggs, she may breed and renest, but you say they arent fertile? Is there no drake involved.

3. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    if you try this only do it at night we do this with both eggs and chicks wait till it is dark and exchange them and 99% of the time it works

4. bbqsfarm

Jul 3, 2012
    How would you go about it at night and getting her off the nest?

5. bbqsfarm

Jul 3, 2012
    How would you do it after dark as she is always on the nest except for eating. I need to do this soon as the eggs are starting to turn.

6. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    i either pick the hen up and do it with one hand or i just reach under them and do it that way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by