Broody mama hen going into moult??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CluckySam, Nov 29, 2010.

1. CluckySam

CluckySam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    My broody hen, who is raising 3-week old chicks is looking very bedraggled and has lost head, neck and chest feathers. Is this a normal thing for broodies, or could there be an underlying other problem?

Thanks.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    She will be fine i have one the same way she is a production red and hatched out 5 chicks, they are 3 weeks old now and she looks like a porkypine on her neck and back.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Broody hens go through a lot and they need extra protein during the setting process. Give her a mix of salmon and yogurt and it will help her to regain her feathers quicker. My broodies start laying often a month or 5 weeks after they have brooded. Poor mommies. only stickers for their babies. [​IMG] Gloria Jean

4. CluckySam

CluckySam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for your advice. [​IMG]

Sam

5. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    Ihave had it happen too, I give a bit of dairy and a fat and finish feed it has more protein. I place food near her nesting so she will continue to eat, I find it puts them back into laying quicker as they are healthier and recover more quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by