Broody mama leaving egg out-but it’s still viable!

Cinnaqueen3305

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2021
I have a Wyandotte mama who’s sitting on a clutch of 6 eggs. She’s been great so far. I’ve noticed though that she keeps leaving an egg (or a couple) out from underneath her. So far I’ve just been scooting them back underneath her but tonight when I found one I decided to candle it and see if it’s even viable-like maybe she knows it’s bad and that why she’s not on it? BUT IT WAS VIABLE!! Clear as day there was a little chick beboppin around in there. So why does she keep doing that, not sitting on an egg here and there? Can she tell something I can’t? Attached is a pic of her, just for fun!

Attachments

• 9EB89CD9-269B-4071-B27C-F6525DD8E6DF.jpeg
    9EB89CD9-269B-4071-B27C-F6525DD8E6DF.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 5
I guess wyandottes are large fowls, so they *should* be able to accommodate 6 eggs. I have a tiny bantam sitting on 6 regular sized eggs and she's really doing all she can to keep them fully covered! I found eggs pushed out behind her on a couple of occasions.

My guess is that when she does that butt wriggle egg shuffling motion, she accidentally kicks the egg out behind her, and since she can't see behind her, she doesn't realize that she's missing one. chickens can't count after all!

I've since made it a routine to check twice daily for any eggs that may be accidentally left out, or are half exposed. I feel bad for giving her 6 eggs, next time I'll get her banty eggs or just 4 so she can set them comfortably.

Back
Top Bottom