broody mama?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stilldeb, May 19, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have a broody Silkie (surprise!) that has been sitting on a thermometer box in the chicken coop for nearly three weeks now (the readout in the house says it is 100 degrees under Marshmallow's butt), even though we keep telling her it's not going to hatch. I have five Sultan chicks arriving from Purely Poultry tomorrow. My question is, would Marshmallow "mother" the new chicks? I have my brooder all set up in the house like usual, but I've never had a broody hen when I've had chicks arriving, and she is nearly done "hatching".

Just a thought.

deb g
    KY

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I've heard your best bet is to sneak one under her at night. I've never tried it, I'm too afraid they will reject the babies

3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I have never done it but I have read post from other BYCers that have done that with success. Especially with silkies! Someone even had a 2 month old Silkie old try to raise some baby chicks she had [​IMG] She was trying to get them under her to get warm and these poor chicks, already a week old, didn't want anything to do with her! But yes, slip them under her at night and keep a close eye on them when they get up to make sure she accepts them.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. stilldeb

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Ok, thanks, might try it. Might make her happy to think that "thing" hatched after all!

deb g

5. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Hi, I only use broody bantams to raise my chicks. I only get a few at a time, usually 4 per hen. We pick them up late in the day then when it gets dark we place them under the hen one at a time. She clucks and settles in. I keep them away from the other hens until they are around 6 weeks.

We now have a mini coop that has 3 boxes. We have 2 hens and 8 chicks. They are both raising all 8! It is really interesting to watch. I had heard that Bantams liked to work together. The chicks do not favor one or the other. I'm never sure how many are under each hen when they get to bed.

So a night time stealth adoption has worked well for me.

I do keep the chicks in my bathroom with the heat on really warm until it got really dark. They have water and food.

Have a great evening.

6. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I have a silkie that just hatched out eggs yesterday and today. I also had some 10 day old silkie babies that I bought. I had heard you should only put 1-2 day old babies under, but I thought that since they were silkies and like to snuggle that I would try it.

So early this morning I snuck my 5 silkies under her and I was really suprised that it has actually worked! The 5 silkies are snuggling in with the new hatchlings and momma seems to love them all!

I am sure it probably depends on the hen, but it is worth a shot.

7. stilldeb

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Well Purely Poultry 'surprised' me and included 10 'packing peanuts' of bantam Barred Rocks with my five Sultans, so I got fifteen chicks rather than the five I was expecting (not thrilled about it either, after I convinced my husband it was "only five more chickens" - now it is FIFTEEN) and I don't think Marshmallow can handle that many, so they are in the brooder.

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by