broody mamas behavior normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hennyhandler, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have two silkie broodys that had brooded and just today hatched a silkie chick together.[​IMG] The thing is they have not gotten out of the nest box. They let the chick sit under them. I know it is the first day but should they be getting off the nest and bringing the chick out by now. I know that there is another egg underneath the one hen so maybe they are going broody again?
    I have heard many stories where two hens can raise a chick just fine together but I have heard of one story where the hen/s go broody again and never teach the chick to eat or drink. Should I pull them off the nest to see what they do and hopefully get them out of the broody craze? What do ya'll think about this?
    Also, I have noticed that the one hen tries to get underneath the other hen and then finally will settle down facing each other . I don't know what this really means

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I do know the chick will not need food for two days at least. Water is more important at first though. They may be waiting for the other egg to hatch. You may have to remove the chick if the other doesn't hatch soon or they don't decide to show the little water soon. Might place a small dish of water near them that the little one can't drown in and show it how to drink yourself.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I would suggest to take one of the hens and put her and the chick into a plastic dog kennel that has air holes and a wire front but that neither she nor the chick can get out.

The reason being is,,,,,,if there is still an egg there the hens will ignore the chick and try to hatch the egg>usually. And I have had experience with two bantam cochin hens that fought over the chicks and killed 7 of them>so I am wary of 2 hens and 1 chick scenario.

It is correct RonC they actually do not need food or water for a few days. :thumbsup

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Actually the thought of seperating one hen with the chick crossed my mind also. Let each broody have one of her own.

5. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I am sorry. I didn't clarify. The other egg under her is not to be hatched. It was layed by another hen and she must have grabbed it up. I know this because they had rolled out the other eggs when this one hatched and then I found this one under her and so I mentioned it wondering if this indicated that she was going broody again.

6. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

What did you end up doing with your hen and chick and egg? HAve you candled the egg that has not hatched? If its alive, then just remove the 1st hen and chick and let the other finish sitting on the egg until it hatches. Hens will actually climb into a nesting box with a broody and lay their egg then leave, With our broody hens, we take them off the nest for a while most mornings and afternoons to make sure they get to eat and drink some, poop and bath in the dirt, then after10 min or so, we put the hen back on the eggs. That keeps their strengh up if she needs to set longer. They are locked in dog crates while they are setting on eggs, but once they are out and about with their chicks they may end sleeping together at night.

7. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I did candle the egg and it must have just been layed as there was no development so I took it up. I left the two mamas with the chick and yesterday I pulled them out to eat and drink with the baby which they helped her eat. Today I did the same and they again helped her out but instead of running back into the coop they stayed out and scratched in the dirt. They did tend to kick the dirt on the chick and weren't too concerned about where she was at or what she was doing. I picked her up and dusted her off. They seem to be more motherly today and so I hope they get better and better at it. If they don't, I will bring her in. I am keeping a stong eye out on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by