Broody mamma!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueberrychickens, Jan 20, 2011.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    So I have a broody mamma who is going on 2 weeks, the thing is she's not sitting on any eggs! (I have no roo to fertilize eggs) I push her out of the nest a couple times a day trying to break her of her broodiness but it doesn't seem to be working. Last time she went broody, I was able to break her after only about 3 days, this time she's determined to sit in that empty nest!! What should I do, just leave her be or keep on pushing her out into the run??? Quite frankly, she's driving me nuts. SHe is a GLW & about 7 mo old.

2. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Personally, I say leave her alone. The poor hormone-driven girl is under enough stress (and boredom). She'll come off on her own at some point. I have learned that bumping her off several times a day isn't going to change her mind. They are determined little mamas!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That is usually the only attempt I make to break a broody, but I do it at least a couple of times a day whether it breaks them or not, because I feel it increases their intake. Broodies commonly lose weight, sometimes quite a bit, so I figure at least I'm adding some to her nutrition. I make them get up and move, and then they have always eaten and drunk, and usually go outside and get a little exercise.

I've only had this not break the broodiness once. She stayed broody for 4 months. I ended up giving her eggs (that I had to mail order.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by