Broody management

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brandywine, Mar 6, 2009.

1. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    My buff Orpington is really broody. I've got her on 13 eggs (today is day 7 of setting, about day 10 of her being broody). I have her caged with food and water very close to her nest, but she never moves.

I get her up once a day and pop her out into the small yard (after first closing out the others, who are free-ranging), do my coop chores. She will eat a little bit of scratch (ignores the layer pellets) drink some water, drop a toxic dookie, and then wants to go back to her egg trance in about ten or fifteen minutes.

She has lost a LOT of weight. I'm quite concerned about her well-being

Is there something I should be feeding her during her brief excursions off the eggs that would provide more appropriate nutrition, and more calories?

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I scramble an egg with olive oil, oatmeal and a little milk and feed it to my broody.

She loves it!

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I' ve got one on day 20 and she's barely moved. 4 broody dutys and I've left food right in front of her that she eats. They seem to know what they need. I never candled so tomorrow should be full of surprises I hope! Good luck [​IMG]

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

brandy, no need to root her out. She`ll get up and do her duties when she needs to. Feed her as usual or like Catalina. She`ll recover the weight after she gets done with the work at hand.

5. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    You are doing the right thing by moving her from the nest 1 time a day. Sometimes they will sit until they die or get really weak and sick because they don't want to go get something to eat and drink. And sometimes they even poo on the eggs they are sitting on, if they don't ever get off the nest. She should be ok if she is eating a little bit every day. Once the chicks are hatched she should be back to normal in just a few days. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by