Broody Meatie, who'd a thunk it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Breac, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Well, it's the dead of winter, but the hens have been laying since January. I'm not exactly complaining about this, but there is something that has me scratching my head.

In the fall, I was "gifted" with an unwanted broiler that a friend had failed to sell and didn't want to kill. So I took her in and named her Chubs, deciding to let her live a natural life until she passed away (which I assumed wouldn't be all too far away, considering). Yet she has not only lost weight, she's decided to go broody.

She doesn't seem to care for them well, as she often breaks the clutch she sits on. Nevertheless, Chubs seems determined to keep to her nest. She'll squeal and nip if I try to take the eggs, just like a normal broody.

I'm not worried about her hatching a clutch at this point, but I am curious. Has anyone else dealt with meaties that have gone broody?

2. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've only heard of it happening on here one other time. Not impressed, the owner. Hahaha.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    My first broody was a cornish cross. I moved her, and she left that nest. I left her alone, and at 3 weeks slipped chicks under her, and she was a great mother. mrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by