Broody Mille Fleur D'uccle started setting 10-1-11

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by honfor500, Oct 4, 2011.

1. honfor500

honfor500 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    The other day i went out to lock up my chickens and when I did my count it turned out my Mille hen was missing. The next day when i came out to let them out she was in the pen . I soon found out that she had gone broody again and had a nest of 11 eggs under the hen house, so I gatherd her up with the eggs and put her in my broody house. I was wondering if they would still hatch beeing out in the cold the two weeks it took for her to go broody. Some of the eggs could be from my Porcelain D'uccle too.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have the answer but I am curious to see what the answer will be....I hope someone with experience on here helps you......and Good Luck...

3. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    I'm not sure what your temps were during the initial laying, but I've seen people on this forum do amazing things with eggs. [​IMG] I've read numerous posts of people storing their hatching eggs in the fridge as well, and I believe they had said the optimum temperature for egg storage was in the 40 degree range. I am so excited for you, and my fingers are crossed! Will you candle them in a few days to see if anything is going on?

I hope someone has more concrete advice for you, but I'd guess that, as long as they were fertile to begin with, they've got as good a chance to hatch as those of us who have eggs shipped via post. Best of luck!

(Your thread caught my eye, as I just set 3 Mille Fleur eggs in the incubator on September 29th.)

4. honfor500

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    At the coldest it might have got down to 47 but most of the time the coldest it got was mid 50's, and yeah they are definately fertile.

5. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

You should not have a problem. How cute all those little mille's will be [​IMG]

6. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I have a broody JB sitting on 3 eggs which I candled and are developing. At least one of those eggs was in the refridgerator for several days before going under her, so there's a good chance your eggs are fine. My Mille fleurs are all chicks . Please keep us posted on how yours does as a mamma. I am really interested in knowing how it goes! And good luck!

BTW - there's a broody hen thread full of experts! It's where the people with moody hens hang out!! They are wonderful people and very knowledgeable.

7. honfor500

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    She has already motherd 5 chicks ,so im sure she will do good she did realy well with them. she is the one in my profile pic. Thanks for the advise.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The eggs should be fine. Candle and remove any that are not fertile. You are about to have some very cute chicks.

9. honfor500

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    Today is day 12 and I candled the eggs it turns out 6 were duds and 5 were developing right along, so i tossed the 6 and put the remaining 5 back under Mille. I could see them movin around inside it was realy cool.

10. honfor500

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    Just an update it is the morning of day 21 and i just checked under my Mille and one of the eggs has piped so im sure it wont be long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by