Broody Minorca

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lady_Grey, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Lady_Grey

Lady_Grey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    So I've got this buff Minorca who seems quite insistent on brooding - I've been chasing her off the nest repeatedly for over a week, with the result that she's sitting more determinedly than ever (her expression is hilarious - "I DARE you to take THIS clutch"). I'm just about ready to go ahead and let her do her thing, but before I do, the fifteen dollar question is, Do Minorcas make good setters? I can't really afford to waste that many eggs if she gives up halfway through.

I kinda hope she can go through with it. I have six different breeds of hen and two breeds of rooster, so the progeny should be interesting.

2. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I don't know the breed but I would let her sit. I have broody banty with a 8 day old chick and she's sitting on a reg size egg that should hatch this weekend and when she first went broody she wanted to keep them all but and I let only let her keep 5 I marked the 5 and checked her nest daily and took out the ones that weren't marked so she was happy and i got my eggs then after she sat for 2 weeks i put her in an enclosure to keep her in and others out. I also have an assortment of different breeds and it's going to be interesting to try to figure out what the my little banty chick is a cross between and if the reg size egg hatches it will be interesting to see what type of cross it will be

3. RoosterAddict99

RoosterAddict99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    I had one minorca go broody last spring. I was able to break her of the habit with golf balls. When she saw the balls weren't hatching she eventually gave up. As long as she stays with her eggs during the night (my biggest concern) let her hatch them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by