Broody mom has cabin fever

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ruralchickens, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ruralchickens

ruralchickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    I gave a broody hen a chick a couple weeks ago, the chick is about 2 1/2 weeks old now. The broody hen adopted it well at first, but now she seems to have "cabin fever." When I went to refill their food and water the broody was on the roost (which I now took out) and keeps trying to get out of the enclosed space inside the coop for her and her chick. I don't know what to do. I think the chick is too young to go outside (especially with the temperature varying from 30-low 60 degrees Fahrenheit.) Any ideas on what I should do? :confused:

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! She may just be over motherhood, some broodys are better than others... if she has really decided to quit, don't think there is much you can do except raise the chick yourself if she won't. You can just leave her out with the flock and the chick will probably go with her, watch to see if she will still watch/protect it outside and let it roost with her etc if so it will probably be fine (some hens do start roosting again really early, the chicks will just sit with her on the roost). Do double check that there is nothing in the coop where she is that is scaring her or making her want to leave.

3. Chickenloving

Chickenloving Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Clucking along
    [​IMG]
    It sounds like your hen is tired of being a mother. :( You can just leave the hen in there for a while and see what happens. Otherwise probably take the chick inside with a heat lamp. The mother also may just be wanting some fresh grass or bugs or a dust bath. They have some cravings. ;) I hope it goes well! Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Personally I would make up a brooder with a heat lamp - it will come in handy some day, and keep the chick there until it is fully feathered. It would be good if you could get a couple more chicks that age to keep it company. Then when it is time to integrate into your flock, the chick won't be alone doing so.

If you don't get chick buddies - put a mirror in the brooder so your 'only chick' thinks its got company. You can give it a small stuffed animal to cuddle with

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined BYC.

I'm sorry to hear about your broody troubles! [​IMG]Some broody hens are better than others. I would agree with Drumstick Diva; the best option may be to separate it from the hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by