Broody mom... possible lice...eggs due to hatch today

kristin07035

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
NJ
Have a broody mom sitting on 4 eggs due to hatch today. When I opened the coop this morning she got up as usual and I checked the eggs for pips. Didn't see any yet but I did see a tiny bug crawling on one. From pictures it looks like it could be a lice. So now how do I treat mom and soon to hatch babies

Have a broody mom sitting on 4 eggs due to hatch today. When I opened the coop this morning she got up as usual and I checked the eggs for pips. Didn't see any yet but I did see a tiny bug crawling on one. From pictures it looks like it could be a lice. So now how do I treat mom and soon to hatch babies

Hatch today? That's a tough one because normally you would pick the hen up and some dust her with Sevin or food grade DE to kill lice. With her setting and eggs due to hatch today, I wouldn't touch her. This is lockdown time for the eggs. I have used Frontline spray before on my chickens to kill bugs and it works very well and lasts. You just use a few small drops and place each drop on the skin under each wing, on her back and under the vent. I don't think it would harm the chicks since it's on the chickens skin, but the problem once again would be picking up the mom to do this and you don't want to disturb her now. It may just have to wait until the chicks have all hatched.

Dust her with poultry dust. You can find it at Tractor Supply. You can also use Sevin dust, it is a bug killing powder used in gardens. Of course, since this is Christmas, unless you have it on hand you will have to wait until tomorrow, unless a neighbor can loan you some.

It is very important that you treat the hen ASAP. Louse infested chicks will become anemic very quickly.

I have poultry dust and frontline plus drops for dogs on hand... wouldn't the dust be bad for the babies to breathe in once they hatch since the stay under her? The drops are for dogs 44-88 lbs so how much would I use and where should i put it. (My broody is a Silkie showgirl if that matters)
Oh and I should mention shes a pretty good broody and usually gets up when I open the coop and again mid day so If I keep an eye on her I could probably treat this afternoon without disturbing her sitting.

I have poultry dust and frontline plus drops for dogs on hand... wouldn't the dust be bad for the babies to breathe in once they hatch since the stay under her? The drops are for dogs 44-88 lbs so how much would I use and where should i put it. (My broody is a Silkie showgirl if that matters)
Oh and I should mention shes a pretty good broody and usually gets up when I open the coop and again mid day so If I keep an eye on her I could probably treat this afternoon without disturbing her sitting.

If chicks are supposed to hatch today, I would be very surprised if she got up. They seem to know, so if she gets off the nest, then that would be a good time to dust her or try the frontline. People have used the frontline drops instead of the spray. If you use that, put the medicine in a disposible container, take a 1 ml syringe (without the needle)and draw some up in it. I would just place one drop under her vent on her skin. Silkies are kind of small aren't they? Frontline is very effective on lice and mites.

Consider mixing the dusting agent into a dusting area close to nest. Your typical potting soil or even spaghnum moss can serve as bulk of dust bathing material. Hen and chicks will use to it. If they do not get in quickly, then place a well secured light source over dusting area. Once louse control realized, replace dust with that not containing de-lousing agent.

Back
Top Bottom