broody mom under shed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momto35chicks, Jun 21, 2019.

1. momto35chicks

momto35chicks Chirping

Jul 15, 2014
    billings
    After much searching, I found one of our favorite chickens on the other side of our property, halfway under our 12x16 shed, completely unreachable. She comes out every few days to eat, drink, and hurry back. honestly, I only have seen one egg. Its impossible to get to her. I think the last time she came out was Tuesday.
    1. if she hatches any chicks will she bring them out from under there?
    2. will she either starve or dehydrate herself to death?
    3. if we see her out should we attempt to get her eggs?
    4. We had a dog attack 2 weeks 2 days ago and that's the last I remember seeing her everyda . she never acted broody. She does under there though. So if I guess it's been 16 days
    I mean I could probably have a neighbor bring a sister up to lift our shed but that proves risky. I just dont want to lose her

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Crowing

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I'd suggest that you put food and water close by for her. It might help if you can fence in a little area to help keep her safe. Hens will lose weight while they brood. That is normal. Taking her eggs will not stop her from being broody.

I'm lucky. Mine has always gone off and couldn't be found. She returns awhile later with a new batch of chicks. I don't have the worry about what to do or not do.

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I'd have to figure out a way to get her out.
    No way would she get to stay under there, in fact iv'e got a long handled fish net for just such emergencies.
    If I can't net, I can push one out with the handle.:)

4. momto35chicks

momto35chicks Chirping

Jul 15, 2014
    billings
    I thought of the fish net idea. it's all gravel and river rock so I'd probably break the eggs. I took her out some mango, scratch, feed, and some cooked sausage. I was able to get some grape tomatoes next her her last night, they were gone this morning.

BirdsBeesTrees and Chickassan like this.
  5. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I'd try not to break eggs but it is way easier to replace eggs than to replace a hen.
    On top of that i'd worry myself stupid over the whole thing.
    Glad you got some food into her though.:)

6. momto35chicks

momto35chicks Chirping

Jul 15, 2014
    billings
    I check on her about 3x a day tonight I watched her and there must be twigs near her as she appeared to be making a nest. as best I can tell shes not been back to the coop in 4 days. there is water available just outside the shed.
    I have 3 moms sitting on eggs and I hope they are all close in age.

Chickassan and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  7. momto35chicks

momto35chicks Chirping

Jul 15, 2014
    billings
    she came out on Saturday. If what I could see she has 8 eggs. They can only be hers so I did some math. we are thinking they should start hatching July 1. If we have nothing but the 8th, we will get her out and break the broodines . She ate for a long time, drank, hung out on the roosts, then left again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: