Broody mom was off nest….eggs still warm

VirginiaW

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2021
I have a six month old Steele Egger who’s been brooding for four days now. When my son closed down the coop last night, he accidentally closed a door between the run and the coop (we usually leave it open). Broody mom was on her eggs all night, but sometime this morning she flew into the run to get food/water then couldn’t get back into the coop. I’m not sure how long she was down there, probably an hour at most, but possibly much less. Her eggs were still warm to the touch. When I put her back in the coop, she settled down again right away. If 4 day old eggs are still warm to the touch, any chance they might still be ok? (I plan to candle them at day 7).

I have a six month old Steele Egger who’s been brooding for four days now. When my son closed down the coop last night, he accidentally closed a door between the run and the coop (we usually leave it open). Broody mom was on her eggs all night, but sometime this morning she flew into the run to get food/water then couldn’t get back into the coop. I’m not sure how long she was down there, probably an hour at most, but possibly much less. Her eggs were still warm to the touch. When I put her back in the coop, she settled down again right away. If 4 day old eggs are still warm to the touch, any chance they might still be ok? (I plan to candle them at day 7).
They should be okay, maybe hatch with curled, or crooked toes at least.

It's still early in incubation, you should see early development around day 3-4. If you are worried, & want to check on them, it won't hurt to do so.

I've had broody hens off the nest long enough for the eggs to be cool to the touch and they hatched just fine. If your's were still warm you have nothing to worry about.
Thanks, that’s really reassuring. We’ll see how it goes! And if she doesn’t hatch any this time, she might try again in the spring 😊

Back
Top Bottom