Broody Momma hen with babies! PIC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by obxWaMi, Apr 19, 2011.

1. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Songster

A few days ago I posted about finding babies under my broody hen...Well, here they are!
    We moved them from the community coop into her own private pen late on the second night after 3 hatched and still with one egg. She did fine and is a VERY protective momma!
    Just after she came off the nest with the 3 babies we checked on the remaining egg and found it burried in the pine shavings... cold.
    I decided to candle it but never made it that far. The egg started cheeping! I've got it in my kitchen under a light right now and I'm hoping for the best since I don't have an incubator. I'm posting in another thread for advice on this situation...

[​IMG]

2. Maggizzle35

Maggizzle35 In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    How adorable. If the other egg has hatched, You should be able to put the other chick right in with her but they say it's best to sneak them in at night in the dark. If it's still peeping and hasn't hatched, you may need to help him out. I would think that as long as you keep it close to 95 degrees or above and put some water in with it for humidity it may hatch on its own. I hope the little one makes it. [​IMG]

3. hmlongino

hmlongino Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I think you could definitely keep it warm with a light bulb and a thermometer to make sure it's not too hot/cold... and a damp towel for humidity!! Congrats on your hatch!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: