Broody mommas poultry show! Show me your momma's and her brood in this comp! Ends Sept. 27th!

Just for fun: one of my all time favorite pics! Susan the Silkie with her foster brood of Favorelles and Ameraucanas.

Attachments

• 3F82BFA6-976B-46C2-8AAA-9DB391982491.jpeg
    3F82BFA6-976B-46C2-8AAA-9DB391982491.jpeg
    723.6 KB · Views: 5
Ohh Guinny look so proud! Was Perci her only baby? I am sorry for Guin and your loss. Percy's legacy will live on! I bet you loved her so much!
Yeah, Perci was her only only baby at the time. She had tried to hatch earlier in the year but none of them successfully hatched. We got her some babies to adopt (Camelot and Excalibur, Cammie and Kallie for short) she adopted them and loved them but they disappeared(just like Perci did). A few weeks later she went broody again but only had one egg. I didn't think that it would hatch but didn't want to take it away from her, she coddled that egg like it had already hatched, and I couldn't take it. She loved it so I loved it. Then she hatched and I loved she more than any baby bird I've ever raised, at first sight. When she died I was devastated. So I post her on here whenever I get the chance, it gives me some kind of closure I guess.

Aaand there you go, the whole soap opera. I was hoping to not give that much detail, just the what happened with the first babies and stuff but that kinda went out the window after the first 2 sentences... sorry😅

Not sure if I'm too late to enter??
This is Chickaletta, Silkie breed, 5.5 years old and dedicated mumma hen.. Babies in pic are all hers and she only stopped mummying them when they were about 4 months old. There are 8 chicks, Names are Ikle, Puff, Boof, Cookie, Choc, Mallow, Ice, Creamy (my kids named them😁) View attachment 2351477
View attachment 2351479
View attachment 2351480View attachment 2351487
This is to cute! I am judging tomorrow around 2, so you've until 2 tomorrow to enter! I would extend the end date but I am to late to edit the post!

Yeah, Perci was her only only baby at the time. She had tried to hatch earlier in the year but none of them successfully hatched. We got her some babies to adopt (Camelot and Excalibur, Cammie and Kallie for short) she adopted them and loved them but they disappeared(just like Perci did). A few weeks later she went broody again but only had one egg. I didn't think that it would hatch but didn't want to take it away from her, she coddled that egg like it had already hatched, and I couldn't take it. She loved it so I loved it. Then she hatched and I loved she more than any baby bird I've ever raised, at first sight. When she died I was devastated. So I post her on here whenever I get the chance, it gives me some kind of closure I guess.

Aaand there you go, the whole soap opera. I was hoping to not give that much detail, just the what happened with the first babies and stuff but that kinda went out the window after the first 2 sentences... sorry😅
No problem! I love hearing the stories! Do you have any idea why the babies keep disappearing? I do the whole chat chat chat, thing when I am talking about my horse Misty too!😅 There is just so much to say! Percy is so cute, with such a good momma, poor Guinny honestly. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to lose Perci.

No problem! I love hearing the stories! Do you have any idea why the babies keep disappearing? I do the whole chat chat chat, thing when I am talking about my horse Misty too!😅 There is just so much to say! Percy is so cute, with such a good momma, poor Guinny honestly. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to lose Perci.
Yeah I'm not sure why they were disappearing, I have a few theories, some logical and some bazzar, but have no way to really confirm any of them lol. I feel really bad for Guin too, she was very depressed for a while. But we were recently given 2, 2 month old ducks and Guin kinda "adopted" them. She's always been the most accepting bird in my flock but the babies also kinda "adopted" Guin to be their new mom. She went right back to normal after that. It made me really happy, and she's letting me cuddle her again now too!

Back
Top Bottom