Broody mom's 1st egg hatched 23 hrs ago, the rest didn't, now what ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaChic21, Dec 17, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Broody mom's 1st egg hatched 23 hrs ago, the rest didn't, what now ? I read some where that the next hatch can be in 48 hours, is that true ?
    Mother hen won't get up from her eggs, at ALL ! 10 out of 16 eggs looked black when I flash lighted them. We looked at the eggs yesterday, and they seem to look ok. The mother probably ate the shell because I couldn't see the shell that the 1st baby chic came out of. Should I be least concerned that the mother hen won't let the baby chic under her ?
    I guess we learn as we go, but I want to know facts before they happen so that I can prevent bad things from happening to say the least.

2. Chickie15

Chickie15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I dont have too much experience with a broody, but with an incubator it can take 72 hours, so I would assume the same with a broody. Hope all goes well!! Although I must say when our pullet went broody this summer only one hatched, but he is the sweetest rooster I've ever met! So even if only one hatched, it should be fine. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is possible that only the one egg was viable. In the kind of weather we've been having in N.J. the hen most likely was unable to keep that many eggs warm enough. Eggs on the outer edge may have become seriously chilled and died. I would wait until 48 hours after initial hatch and then remove all of the eggs.

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    if nothing happens within 72 or 48 hours, if I take the eggs from her, wouldn't she go back to broody ? Would 1 baby chic be enough for her ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by