broody muscovey habit question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MakNat, Apr 10, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    How do they act at first. Shes got about 20 or so eggs, but she is only on them very little. She loafs around most of the day with the other ducks. But she goes in to sit at night and lingers in the mornings, maybe once during the day she will be on them. It is her first time. Or is this just how they are?? I am new to duckies..

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    She probably isn't broody yet. She will sit the nest at night if she thinks it is to cool for the eggs. Same for in the morning and/or that is when she is laying another egg. First timers are always iffy...
    A real broody will pluck a 'brood patch' on her own breast. and line the nest with the feathers. When she comes off the nest she will be in a great rush to feed, drink, dump a very large and stinky poop. If she thinks she has time she will take a fast bath and hurry back to the nest, 20 minutes tops. Once the weather gets warmer they will spend more time off the nest since it won't cool as fast. I hope this was a help.

3. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Glad to see your signature, GD. I think I'm going to make mine, 'Yes, ducklings CAN swim!' lol

4. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    In my experience this is typical Muscovy behavior.
    At first they will set on the eggs just at night or sporadically but in a few days they get serious, will line the nest with feathers and sit tight.
    This threw me off when I first started raising Muscovies
    but that's what most of my girls do and the eggs hatch out just fine.
    Warm weather does not cause mine to take longer potty/eat breaks either.

5. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I suspect your days might not get as hot as ours here in NC do. I doubt anyone is going to beleive me when I report that on two different days when it was 105 in the shade I have watched Muscovy hens hover (stand over the nest and gently fan the nest with slight movements of their wings) If you have ever owned a bad incubator you know you can kill eggs with too much heat as well as too little.

6. MDC

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    GD, mine often do that same thing when it's hot out. I don't think it's unusual.

7. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    ɱůşçōvý :

GD, mine often do that same thing when it's hot out. I don't think it's unusual.

It is not but every time I post any information to this board that hasn't been said at least 10 times before I get called on it! like my mention that they tend to be in less of a rush to get back to the nest in warm weather.​

8. MDC

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Well, I've been familiar with you long enough to know that you know what you're talking about between here and TPC and a few Emails back and forth that you may or may not remember about feeds & soy, phyto-estrogens, etc. I think people would do well to consider your advice/opinions, but that's just *my* opinion! [​IMG]

9. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Quote:I've found the people here to be very kind and not at all argumentive.
    All I was doing was merely sharing that mine don't take long potty breaks. I wasn't calling you on anything.
    Everybody's experience isn't going to be the same.
    We're all just sharing our personal experiences.
    Plus its helpful when newbies can understand that things can often vary greatly from one situation to the next.
    Maybe you should go back to the other board
    if you can't handle other people's opinions.

10. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Hi I am so glad you posted this thread I have been wondering the same thing about my Muscovy. Also she has already laid 22 eggs. How many do Muscovies tend to lay? Will she be able to hatch them all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by