Broody Muscovy on Chicken eggs

hikerchick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Dover, PA
My muscovies and my chicken have been laying eggs in the same nest. One of my muscovies has gone broody on the nest. What is going to happen if she hatches some chicks along with her ducklings? Will she hurt them?

Last edited:
Quote:
I read somewhere that ducks don't do well hatching chicken eggs. The ducks maintain a very high humidity when they're hatching and the chicken eggs will "drown" in their amniotic fluid.

Quote:
th.gif

You could remove the chicken eggs when they pip and put them in a hatcher...then she could finish hatching out the ducks

She will absolutely hatch the chicken eggs. Mine had a 100% hatch a few weeks ago. I removed them the morning they hatched because I had read about them getting stepped on by the duck. After that I put more eggs under her and she's still sitting on those, they're due to hatch in 6 days.
smile.png

So, since they are different hatch times, pull the chicks when they hatch and she may continue to sit on the duck eggs until it's time for them to hatch.

My Muscovy, BD, hatched 2 ducklings and a chick last Wed...They are all well and happy with the mom.
She is very patient when they get to the creek and is always watchful that all 3 get across or in safely.
Personally, if I were her, I would have kicked that noisy chick out, but she loves it.
BD is very protective of all. If it were to happen again, I'd let her
do it..this time was a surprise.
Rox

Back
Top Bottom