Broody Muscovy on Chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hikerchick, May 17, 2009.

1. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    My muscovies and my chicken have been laying eggs in the same nest. One of my muscovies has gone broody on the nest. What is going to happen if she hatches some chicks along with her ducklings? Will she hurt them?

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I read somewhere that ducks don't do well hatching chicken eggs. The ducks maintain a very high humidity when they're hatching and the chicken eggs will "drown" in their amniotic fluid.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The real problem will come when she calls them into the water and they follow......

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You could remove the chicken eggs when they pip and put them in a hatcher...then she could finish hatching out the ducks

6. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    She will absolutely hatch the chicken eggs. Mine had a 100% hatch a few weeks ago. I removed them the morning they hatched because I had read about them getting stepped on by the duck. After that I put more eggs under her and she's still sitting on those, they're due to hatch in 6 days. [​IMG]
    So, since they are different hatch times, pull the chicks when they hatch and she may continue to sit on the duck eggs until it's time for them to hatch.

7. Rox148PA

Rox148PA New Egg

Apr 10, 2009
    Central PA
    My Muscovy, BD, hatched 2 ducklings and a chick last Wed...They are all well and happy with the mom.
    She is very patient when they get to the creek and is always watchful that all 3 get across or in safely.
    Personally, if I were her, I would have kicked that noisy chick out, but she loves it.
    BD is very protective of all. If it were to happen again, I'd let her
    do it..this time was a surprise.
    Rox

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by