Broody Muscovy question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenGirl 19, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Hello, I'm Katy
    I'm new to raising ducks and chickens,(only got them this summer) and I had a question about Muscovy broodieness..

How often do Muscovies go broody? Do they usually do so in the spring or summer? Can they hatch chicken eggs? Can they take care of them right?

I also have a question about ducks in general: Is it heathy for them to eat chicken food? I'd rather not seperate them so they don't eat it. If my chickens and ducks are togeather, they will have more room. In my run for them, I have a lot of grass and weeds, and they get along well with the chickens, although recently our drake got stuck in between the coop and the fence, and lost his back claw to the kwik, so we have him seperated.

2. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    ducks can eat the same food as chickens, however as ducklings they need more niacin in their feed than chicks.

they'll go broody 2 to 3 times a year, usually starting when the weather warms up. i'll get winter hatches here as well as the weather is reasonably mild(no snow), but hatch rates are poor.

they can hatch chicken eggs but there is a danger that the mum will try to take the chickens for a swim, the chicks will drown if this is the case.

i have lots of fun with young teenage drakes, they arent always the smartest creatures, similar to teenage humans!

3. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    About what is the average hatch rate if a Muscovy duck hatches chicken eggs in the warmer months? (We have 5-20 in spring, depending on the year, and 19-34 in summer, in Celsius)

Edited for temperature type

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Does anyone know?

5. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    my friends muscovy goes broody about 4 times a year, an even more because the babies aren't left with mother so she goes back to laying quickly. She usually has 90% during every hatch winter and summer but i'm no sure about chickens, I can't imagine they would be too different.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I find this varies on the duck, i have a few who are broody monsters, trying several times then i have some who are less interested and one who is totally uninterested lol

I use a flock raiser to avoid issues with feeding ducks and chickens, i like simple. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by