Broody Muscovy questions!

kristinn

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
Brighton, MI
I have 2 female Muscovies, 1 that I got this year (lady said she was 1 or 2) has started making a nest and she is now up to 10 (1/day)
I believe I've read in one of these threads somewhere that I should limit the amount of eggs she has for the first time a duck goes broody (assuming this is her first time since I dont know if she ever went broody with her previous owner) is this true? How many should I limit to? As of now, she only sits on them at night, but she's started lining the nest with feathers, does this mean she'll start sitting on them more soon?

Today when I checked I was a little surprised to find the 10th egg already as she laid all of the other eggs at dusk.. Maybe my other duck (8 months) has started laying as well so I plan to add another nest box today. If the younger duck IS laying, should I let her sit on her eggs? Ive seen a lot of people say to wait until theyre at least a year before letting them go broody..? Do you think theyll each lay eggs in their own box when I add another one?

Can Muscovies lay more than 1 egg a day?

Doesnt the hatch rate for duck eggs start dropping after 10 days? At this point, should I dispose older eggs as new ones are laid?

TIA I know its a lot of questions lol :)

no need to limit the eggs. she will continue to lay until she is happy with the amount. then she will sit. I have had some sit on 24 eggs and some only sit on 4. it is individual to the duck. If you take any away she will continue to lay eggs until she is pleased.

All good questions. you can not prevent the duck from going broody. muscovie usually have 2 clutches per year. Having a nest box for both is good. but, sometimes more than one will lay eggs in the same box and then the broody will sit on them all. the duck sits on and around the eggs at night to keep the chill off them but, will not sit until she is pleased with the amount . good luck with them. I have raised them for years and find them a lot of fun..
ya.gif

I forgot to say. you can leave the eggs in there . she will decide if they are too old or not. like i said if you take out she will keep laying. let nature happen. muscovies are a little different once they start sitting , they sit for 35 days before the eggs hatch. and they can lay more than one egg a day and usually lay in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom