Broody Muscovy with a pale beak???

Mom4ever

Chirping
Jun 19, 2022
Currently I have one of my females laying on her eggs in her coop going over 30 days now. She has chased out the other female and male duck a few weeks back. She seems to be taking care of herself eating, drinking, bathing herself and doing small increments of foraging than she is back with the eggs. We figured it was a good idea to keep her away from the Male duck as he keeps trying to mate with her. She has about 5 of her own eggs underneath her and 5 of the other ducks eggs. This morning while she did her normal routine I noticed her beak looked pale. I do not believe this is good. If someone can help me out if they have any ideas. Our last ducks died laying on her eggs but she was the only female and she struggled taking care of herself as she wanted to stay away from the male duck. We obviously do not want this duck to die. Any advice would be great.

I offered my Muscovy food and water in the coop when they were broody, even holding out the container to them to make sure they ate. Perhaps try the same?

Brooding, as you've unfortunately found out, can be very difficult on the female.
She is eating and drinking that is not the issue. I just concerned about the pale beak.

Hormonal changes can cause a lightening in bill color. Although it is somewhat unlikely check to see that the nest has not become infested with mites. (I have never had that happen with a setting duck.) With around 5 days to go hoping for a successful hatch.
Do you know how I would check for mites?

When my Muscvy females are brooding the flesh on their face goes pale. Once they begin laying again the red comes back. Which since it's so late in the year you may not see eggs again until next spring.
I pick up my ducks eggs candle and put them back they may fuss and some can nip but there is no reason other than that to not pick them up. Mine will still be on the nest I just reach under and get an egg.

Oh wow!!! That is good to know.. Thank you!!! I was wondering if she could hatch anything in Autumn or if we should just somehow stop her from wanting to sit on them. Not even sure how we would do that anyways. Lol

Back
Top Bottom