Broody Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Apr 11, 2012.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Valentina, my black muscovy, is starting to act broody. I don't want babies (well, I do, but I can't), so I have to chase her off the next to pick up the eggs. She seemed so upset yesterday. She was making a chirping noise that I never heard any of them make and she was just kind of wandering around looking lost. I felt bad, but what else could I do? I had to clean and gather the eggs. I know it is not going to actually harm her, but just looking for a few suggestions to maybe make it a bit less upsetting for her.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know exactly what your saying, I have 1 sitting but at least 2 more that have started nesting, I am taking their eggs daily, they put up a fuss and it hurts me I have to do it but you can only have so many. They only thing you can do is what your doing she'll get over it, I have been doing this for going on 8 years now and they make it through with out problems, I think it's harder on me actually.

3. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Oh, thank you Miss Lydia! I will just put my big girl panties on and shoo her off the nest! I am so wimpy when I have to do something that upsets them![​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Me too. But it's for the good of the flock if your like me and you have no place to put them.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I so know what your feeling! I finally relented and let one nest start.. that failed.. and now onto act II ... I am seeing another nest being started up which I may leave as the other hen's I don't think is going to well...

It is hard, i do want some more birds.. i need more hens and would rather just have my own vs buying any BUT i to will have to halt any further tries i have no interest in 6 thousand birds here lol plus i am wary on how well i can sell the extras.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats been my problem being able to find homes for any I don't need to keep, so this year we may do some butchering, I am not sure we can since these Muscovies just have a way of getting into my heart, I have no problem with excess roosters though so we'll see. This nest of 7 hopefully will be mostly girls. Right? lol

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Fingers crossed [​IMG] and er.. yeah, while it's tempting to murder the young pair of boys some days.. i can't get personal with my meals. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  8. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    That is why I cannot let them hatch out any eggs. I could not butcher any drakes that I ended up with. And let's face it, who is going to want runner muscovy drake crosses? And if they do, it is just to eat. If I raise them, I could not feel good about letting them be someone's dinner. So, I took the eggs. She is a bit miffed at me. She keeps wandering around squeaking these little noises, and she keeps going back to the nest area looking for the eggs. Way to go Valentina to make me feel bad. It works! LOL

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I bet runner/muscovy makes a cute duckling. and at least you won't have to worry about ducklings . Very hard for me to turn one down but i have 8 girls and so far 1 sitting 1 thinking about it another comtemplating it, so i have to keep up with these girls.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by