Broody Muscovys

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sekwef, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Sekwef

Sekwef New Egg

Aug 3, 2013
    Hi, I am new to the duck world and have a couple of Muscovys i have one male and i one female, i have had them a few months and the female has started laying she has layed 18 eggs and then discided to go broody and has been sitting on them for 17 days, This morning i found a egg on the floor and it was stone cold so took it away, she then went back on the nest after having something to eat and when i went back later this afternoon there was another one on the floor, she is nesting in a barrel that she has picked and i think they are rolling out of the barrel so i have put a brick in front that she can get over on to the nest, she came off again tonight and all the eggs seem to be covered, I would like to know if in any way any one thinks we have put her off being on her nest? as i havent knowen her to come off the nest some many times in one day? I hope someone can help,

2. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    Mmm, it`s best not to interfere with her doing her thing. It`s normal they will pick out some eggs witch seem to be bad. She knows that best.
    Thats why you will find some eggs. Could be that the nest is in a akward place, but i think she is picking out the bad...
    My muscovy is breeding aswell. She comes twice a day and eat`s real quick. One time in the morning, one time early evening. But yesterday i only saw her in the evening, so no worry if she`s a little of...
    I don`t think you scared her off. She`s doing exactly what`s she`s suppost to...[​IMG]

Have fun waiting for the big moment to happen!!

3. Sekwef

Sekwef New Egg

Aug 3, 2013

4. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i think it was a good idea to put the brick in front. sometimes the mothers are ordinary/clumsy/just plain bad broodies. if she really wants the egg out she'll pick it up, atleast with the brick in front you've covered any accidental roll outs[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by