Broody Nest Box & Bedding

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cmitchell, Apr 20, 2011.

1. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

This is our first time hatching chicks under a broody hen. Three of her eggs hatched this week. I was wondering what you all used for broody nest boxes & bedding. I used an old rabbit nest box and pine shavings..I'm beginning to re-think this. I wonder if the front of the rabbit nest box is to high (4" or so) for the chicks to hop in & out of when momma tries to take them to eat/drink. I also have the sinking feeling I may have caused the death of one of her chicks. He was well developed and good size when I found him dead. Upon closer inspection I could see his mouth was full of tiny shavings..like he tried to eat them and they got stuck in his throat, sufficating him. :'o(

Next time should I use just hay as bedding and no next box or box with very low (2" or less) sides?

Here is a picture of the 2 surviving chicks:
    [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Put a brick on each side of the "nest box" opening - this will help the chicks hop in/out as they follow mom around.

I use shavings and have not had a choking issue - is it possible the chick passed, mouth opened and shaving were "kicked" into his beak? [​IMG] always hard to loose a chick.

3. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

HorseFeatherz NV,

Thank you for the idea about the bricks..I will try that next time. It is hard to loose a chick..this was our first hatch..but the remaining 2 fuzzy butts are doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by