broody never leaves nest

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snowflake, May 14, 2010.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    my broody has been sitting for 3 weeks she only seems to leave the nest when I take her off every night to try to get her to eat and drink. I just offered her a worm and she totally ignored me. when I take her off she will eat a little,very little' doesn't drink or relieve her self and gets back on the nest. I am concerned she isn't getting enough nutrition. this is the first time for both of us. Any suggestions?

2. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    Mine have been broody for about 18 days..the eggs have started pipping today. I rarely have seen them out, maybe twice for each. They know what they're doing, so i've just left them alone.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

They know when they need to get up, and will do so when they are ready. Just leave her alone and she will take care of things.

4. snowflake

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Thanks, I needed some reassurance [​IMG] I don't want her to starve. ....I thought it took 21 days, You are already getting pips at 18 days?

5. Hennie

Hennie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    "Down Under" SE
    Hi snowflake
    Mine hatched at 20 days, I was also worried, when the hen didn't get off the nest, so I used to lift her off carefully, making sure, she didn't have an egg under her wing and she would eat only a small amount not drink, but she did relieve herself most of the time and after 15 min. she would run back to her nest. I did that for the first 2 weeks, after that I left her alone. 4 babies hatched on day 20 and they are gorgeous and 6 weeks old tomorrow. 2 of the eggs were clear. I hope this helps, I'm sure all would have worked out without my interference though.[​IMG]
    Hennie

6. snowflake

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    thanks Hennie! That helps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by