Broody, New Nest, New Coop Question!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cluckin'Along, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    Hello All! [​IMG]
    I am new to the whole broody thing, but as mine would not quit, I gave her a few eggs to sit on.... [​IMG] Now, thinking about it, I figured I should probably move her out of the coop into a quieter area. Sooo, I found a 2X3X4 crate and knocked it into a quick coop, just need to add a run. My question is, will I be able to move her and her eggs to the New coop and have her sit, or will she be 'disturbed' and give it up? I am on day 14 now, so I would feel really bad if she 'quit'! Is there some trick to moving a broody to keep the stress down? [​IMG] Or should I just move her when hatching is finished?? the new coop is set up to function as a brooder too, if need be... [​IMG]
    What is up with the broodies in this frigid weather? [​IMG] I'd think they'd know better!

2. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    It is really how she feels. if she feels comfortable in her new broody area she will sit but if not she will quit. Maybe you could start up your incubator when you move her just incase she does quit? You could also try moving her when all chicks hatch. [​IMG]

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    If you plan on moving her & the eggs, it is best to do so at night, when there is less chance of stressing her.
    I would warm up the incubator if you have one, just in case.
    the other option is to wait until they all hatch and move them.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are certainly risks moving her. She might quit. To improve your odds, I'd suggest moving her at night with as little light as possible and have the new nest fairly dark. I'd lock her in the area but give her food and water and just enough area to get off the nest and poop. Not too huge an area. Make sure it is in a predator proof location.

I'll include a link about isolating a broody while she is sitting on the eggs. It might help you make up your mind.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

Good luck whichever way you decide.

5. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    Thanks everyone for the Suggestions!

Ridgerunner-Great link!! I think I'll tinker with the new coop a bit more and try to move her tomorrow. The weather right now is miserable!! Thanks Again, and all suggestions, opinions and options welcome please!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by