Broody, no rooster, dont want chicks, what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmtcmkb, Apr 20, 2012.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Wasnt expecting this so soon- my pullets are 7 months, just started laying 2 months ago. It seems I have a broody australorp. I noticed 2 days ago she was spending longer in the nest box. 2 nights ago she slept in the nest box ( well below the roosts) last night she slept in there. I coaxed her out this morning, by opening the access lid, but within 15 minutes she was back in there.

What do I do? I dont want chicks, I dont have a roo and I have only one large community nest box ( 12"x 24"). We planned on dividing it this week..

I searched on this site for some answers....just not sure what to do or where to start.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Ok sounds good thank you, I have a brooder, but the bottom is solid. Can I use that? My main concern right now is the others want to lay and she's scaring everyone off and they have no where to go lay. I tried moving her and she wasnt very happy, pecking, screeching and full feathered shrills. I have called an experienced friend who hopefully can help me move her.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Maybe you can use it. The idea of the wire bottom is to cool off her bottom. That seems to help. She may decide that a corner of the brooder would make a good nest and settle on that. You just don't know, Some are more dedicated than others. All you can do is try.

As far as the pecking and maybe scratching, long sleeves and gloves can help. As far as the sound effects, that is just your strength of character. :oops:

Good luck!!!

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Give her a bath. Not freezing, but not warm either. It should bring down her temperature. Some broodies are harder to break than others.

6. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    ok I got a divider built and in there so at least the others can have a place lay, found 2 more eggs under her. I have 2 ceramic eggs in the box been there since they started laying, should I remove them, right now thats what she is sitting on? She is not moving no way no how and I cant get to her easily. When I can get help to keep nest box lid open I will remove her and try the bath.

7. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri
    I just went through this with one of my wheaten marans. She spent week being broody when I decided to intervene. I have big dog crate, three by five, put her in it every day. Provided food, water, no box, and plenty of shade. I let her out every night and blocked entry to all nesting boxes at night. It took three days, but I broke her. Good luck.

BTW, I removed all faux eggs.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  8. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    My expert chicken friend came a firmly removed her little butt off the nest and she's been running around with the others for an hour. We took out the fake eggs and I will watch her closely. Thanks for all the advice. I have a weird feeling she'll go back, but at least I am prepared now [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  9. ignatz

ignatz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Nunya
    You do realize that without a *rooster*, you won't have any 'chicks', right?

10. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Yes I do realize that, thank you, I know my title wasnt clear. I close the coop door for the day, she's attempted to get back in a few times, hopefully tonight I can get her to roost rather than nest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by