broody, not dying!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mika4me, Jun 3, 2017.

1. mika4me

mika4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Sacramento
    So I have 3 chickens, 2 new girls, about a year old, and one old girl, 9 years old. My old girl lost her best friend (same age) about 2 months ago. The new girls and Polly, my old girl, are in separate but side by side coops and free range together in the afternoons. Don't like sleeping together though. About two weeks ago, Polly started acting "off", wouldn't come out of her nest box, making weird noises, not eating. I figured she was feeling bad and didn't want me to touch her, so I didn't. I've been thinking she's dying, and put oatmeal, treats, water, etc. inside her house where she could reach them. Every morning and every afternoon I've been checking on her and dreading the day that I open the box and find she's gone to chicken heaven. But... I am a dummy! I haven't been checking her nest box for eggs, since she quit laying almost a year ago. Today I saw an egg next to her when I opened the box, and it hit me: my 9 year old hen has gone broody!!! I picked up her annoyed self and put her outside. She fluffed her feathers and immediately started looking for bites to eat. Underneath her: 6 eggs! Anyone else ever have a 9 year old hen pick up laying and go broody (for the first time in her life!!!)? I figure she never went that way before because I was always sure to check her nest box each day. I can't believe I missed all the signs... great day, though! I've had Polly her whole life and nursed her back from coccidiosis when she was three days old. Not dying, just broody! hahaha

LisPrissy, Dmontgomery and Mace Gill like this.
  2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Awww, that's so funny. My chickens are only 3 years old so I can't advise on going broody in the golden years! Very few of mine haven't gone broody so not sure I'll ever know! I'm glad she's only broody (not sick) and it sounds like she's getting the best of care. She's a very good age for a chicken.

3. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    At nine years old doubt those are her eggs, but it's nice to see the old folks pick up the burden of child rearing!

4. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I have an OEGB hen that we "rescued" from a family member. We've had her 4 years, but have no idea how old she actually is. She quit laying March 2016 and went broody twice last year, hatching the eggs of our young pullets. (Unfortunately she gave us 8 new roosters!) Just another example of the grandparents having to raise the grandkids while the parents are off playing.
    We figured her laying days were over but she started back giving us eggs again a few weeks ago. Apparently she just decided to take a whole year off.
    Congratulations to grandma Polly!

LisPrissy and Mace Gill like this.
  5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That's really something! Who'd of thought? Good for her. Never underestimate a chicken, right? Enjoy them.

LisPrissy likes this.
  6. LisPrissy

LisPrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2016
    That is great!! I would have been so worried also and would have definitely thought sickness over broody!

7. Chickens 4Ever

Chickens 4Ever Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2017
    Virginia
    I have a old hen that is on eggs too! She's broody rn, lol. She has hatched chicks b4 so me and my mom aren't worried when we (sometimes) let her lay on eggs

LisPrissy likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by