Broody Not Keeping All Eggs Underneath Her

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have a young broody silkie sitting on 9 silkie/showgirl eggs. They are due to hatch in two days. i keep checking on her and finding one or more eggs are sticking out from under her chest or backside, half covered. And have also found an egg that is totally uncovered. i'm spending lots of time tucking eggs back underneath.

If i had another reliable broody i would switch them out, but she's the only one available right now. i guess i'm wondering if others have had this experience with a broody, but still had the eggs hatch alright. Maybe 9 eggs are too many for her? Any suggestions? i should probably fire up my incubator, just in case.

2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I would fire up the incubator. Sounds like she is moving so much she can't keep them there.

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I'm having the same problem right now with a silkie and a black tail white Japanese. Have you candled the eggs at all? I did today and was able to eliminate a bunch that were not good. (They are in with the general population and have been slipping other hens' eggs under them.) I marked the fertile ones and tossed the rest. Now, they each have a reasonable number (5 each). I hope yours hatch and will be looking for you to post your results. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    ive had hens who do that and still get good hatches
    but i would candle and get rid of the bad eggs that way she has less to worry about

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

I would candle them to make sure they are even good. A hen will kick out eggs that are no good.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i actually did candle day before yesterday. We started with 16. i had two hens sitting on them until then. These nine looked pretty hopeful. i had two that had obviously quit and then 5 that looked not so hopeful. i gave the not-so-hopeful ones to the other hen Peepers, who is only on the eggs part of the time. Gave these 9 to Juliet as she is the most faithful setter, and moved her into a small hutch inside our shed (our baby nursery).

i almost wonder if i should set up Peepers in a small hutch where she can't get up and waltz off, and give her half the eggs. i can't keep the two of them together for the hatch as Peepers was always beating the feathers out of Juliet when they came off the nest to eat.

Whatever i decide, i need to do it tomorrow before any chicks start to hatch. Lot's of nail-biting going on here.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Everytime I have had a broody, they collect more eggs than they can possibly hatch. I just throw the leftovers away. I have a 10 ounce turken that goes broody often, and that dumb thing thinks she can cover 14 eggs.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i think Juliet "thinks"she is covering all those eggs, and doesn't realize when one has scooted out the backside. She's bearded with a huge crest, so probably can't see much of anything. i should have clipped her hair, but don't want to pull her off the nest this late in the game.

These are silkie/showgirl eggs i bought on ebay and i really want to have a good hatch. [​IMG]

Maybe if i put something inside the hutch, like a nestbox or something, to keep the eggs in and under her it would help.

9. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    My big BO pullet had 11 eggs very comphy under her... when i candled I tossed 1 of them and she has 10 at the moment.

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, after my last post i went out and found a small plastic cat box in our shed. Cleaned it up, put in straw and the eggs. Juliet has been faithfully sitting on them since. But yesterday was hatch day and i haven't heard a peep. Wondering if they got chilled too late in the game and have died. [​IMG] Anyhow, here she is, trying to be a good mom:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by