Broody old english bantam hen and her clutch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by polenslager, Dec 9, 2012.

1. polenslager

polenslager Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    post falls Idaho
    I could not find this hen for a couple of days about two weeks back.

Then when I left the coop to get some hay one night and came back in a few mins later..
    she was on the floor eating with the rest of the chickens.

The next night I found her hiding spot in the house. Its up on a bale of hay sitting inside the house to keep
    it dry. Its leaning against a back wall. She is up on top of it snuggled back by the wall. There is a shelf of sorts above her so she is
    protected somewhat. Chickens sometimes sit up on the shelf but have not been sitting there for
    a month or more..
    anyways.. yesterday I gave her a few bits of bread while she was up on her nest. She ate it, got down to
    eat corn with the gang and I saw her eggs.. 10 of them!!

So.. do I leave her alone, let her hatch them out? Are they safe from the other hens?
    since the eggs are up high, well a hay bale height, a bit less since its leaning my worry is them
    falling once they hatch, assuming they hatch.

This little hen is nice, but not friendly. I cant pick her up unless I corner her and scare the heck
    out of her.

As you can tell I am new to this...
    Her area is in the back of the coop, in a section we added a year and a half ago.
    It would be "doable" to block her off from the rest of the hens and the roosters but a pain
    to take care of everyone.

Suggestions?

2. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    Wait till nite time nd move her nd her eggs to that part of the coop block her off from the rest of the chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by