1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody on day 16-17 not staying on nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wewcz5, Jan 28, 2014.

1. wewcz5

wewcz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    Last night as we locked the chickens up I noticed that the straw was every where in the coupe and the nest was completely covered! It looked like someone had come in with a shovel and threw the straw every where! My hubby was able to uncover the nest and the broody hen named Chubby got back on. Today another hen named Dotty is on Chubby's nest. I am thinking that it must have been those two hens fighting last night. I'm wondering if Dotty is going broody and fighting for the nest. Right now Chubby is off the best for the second time today which is very odd. Dotty however is on it. How can I keep these 2 from competing? Can I move the next into a dog crate and leave chubby in there with it until the eggs hatch? I'm worried once the eggs hatch that the other chickens will kill them. This is my first time having a broody hen and I'm not sure if I need to separate them or not. Any help is appreciated!!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The other chickens could be forcing her off the nest to lay an egg. I'd move her like you suggested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by