Broody on day 18..... Need advice pls.......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bloom chicks, Feb 12, 2012.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    She will be on day 18 tomorrow and was wondering if I should continue to take her off the nest to poop. She is in a dog crate in the coop and I have been taking her off the nest once a day so she can do her business. So I was wondering if I should take her off tomorrow because of lockdown. Thanks for your input.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would certainly give her the choice. They can handle the lockdown aspect of hatching on their own.

3. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    My hen absolutely refused to get off at all. I still dragged her off, and all 11 chicks hatched fine. ^^

4. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you very much. Do I continue to take her off until they hatch? She won't come off the nest by her self.

5. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    This is my 2nd broody my 1st one was easy. My second one won't get off the nest. [​IMG]

6. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Well I ended up doing that since she absolutely refused to get off at all. My eggs hatched two days early too so surprise surprise, I take her off the 19th day an when i bring her back i see..pips! It didn't seem to hurt them at all. Hens do naturally get off eggs, or at least they should. My hen and yours apparently are quite dedicated.

The only thing that happened for me was once 7/11 chicks hatched my hen was so excited she kept lifting to see them. I don't think this should be an issue but I stuck the last few in the incubator just in case so they didn't get too chilled. This shouldn't be an issue though haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by