Broody on eggs question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jossanne, Mar 25, 2009.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've got a first-time broody on eggs. She has two mutt eggs that I gave her that are on day 18 today, and then she has 12 that I bought on here that are on day 14.

So my question is... if I let her hatch the two mutt eggs and then promptly remove them, how likely is it that she'll continue to set for another 4 days to hatch my silkie babies? Do I need to remove the two mutts before they hatch so she doesn't quit on me?

Thanks!

2. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    IMHO, I would take them from her before thay hatch, if you have somewhere to hatch them out. Once they hatch, I think "mommy mode" will kick in and she may leave the other eggs.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Ditto. [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree that's the safest way - remove the mutts until everything hatches, then you can put them back with mama. I've heard of the other way working, too, but if you really want those Silkies - I wouldn't risk it.

Sending good vibes for a great hatch!

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't have somewhere else for the eggs to hatch. If I take them out, I am killing two nearly-ready babies...

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Well, then just leave them under her and hope for the best.

7. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    Quote:Keep a close eye on them and snatch them when they are starting to hatch or have just hatch and put them in a box for a couple days until the siblings arive!

8. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'm going to get an incubator put together today. I've been gathering supplies, and have everything except the 12 volt power source for the fan, so it will have to be a still air. Hopefully I can get it regulated quickly, and I'll pull the eggs out tomorrow. I really don't want to risk my eggs that I paid for, for two little mutt babies.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by