broody on golf ball ? help anyone ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moosenbudda, Nov 12, 2009.

1. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    Only one of my 18 ladies have started laying and shes a little egg laying machine. in the past 3 weeks shes laid about a dozen eggs, We've been taking them out every evening, well after she laid the dozen she decided she wants to hatch the golf ball that got her started in the first place ! I dont know if I should push her out of the box and take out the gold ball or would that scare her to much. she hasnt laid anything in about 5 days since shes been trying to lay on the golf ball. what do I do ??? Shes a millie fluer OEG mix bantam I dont know if it matters.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    [​IMG] anyone out there have any suggestions ?

3. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    Get rid of the golf ball. Push her from the nest if she does not let the other hens in, they would like to lay an egg too. You won't scare her you will tell her that there is nothing to sit on so start laying again.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You may have to "break" her if you don't want to get some fertile eggs for her so she can hatch some chicks. I belive the most common method is to put the hen in an elevated wire bottom cage with no nesting material, just food and water. You can do a search for "breaking a broody" to find more information on this. Good luck.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Some are harder to get out of the "brood" stage than others, I keep taking my hens out of the nest boxes and moving them outside during the day (they all free-range) 9 times out of 10 the hen will run back.

If its a duck I put them in water, they hate me for a while............ then run back.

After a while (few days) they get the message.

6. obchix

obchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    When your other girls start laying she will try to steal their eggs to sit on. Unless you have some fertilized eggs you may want to get her done with her broodiness. I have had three broodys so far (out of 4 hens @ 1 yr old). I put them in "solitary" for a few days and they start laying again 5-7 days after that. I put them in a wire mesh rabbit cage with food and water in our shed. It usually takes about 36-48 hours and they get the picture. Good luck.

7. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Would you want a few more chicks? I never stopped a brood. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, I just never did it. Did you consider giving her all her eggs back?

8. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I would give her a few fertilized eggs...... even if you have to get them from else where....

9. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    If you want her to stop brooding, get the golf ball out. I did the same thing, had a fake egg in there and my little bantam I think would have sat on that fake egg until she died of old age or starvation lol. As soon as I took the egg out, within a day she was back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by