Broody on nothing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nes, Jun 30, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Can a hen still be broody when she's sitting on nothing?

She even switched nests yesterday and our other hen laid in Henny's normal nest, but Henny stayed in Penny's nest and ignored the (unfertile) egg...

I've tried dunking her in cold water, I've tried rousing her from the nest box at every chance (she's getting more grumpy about it)...
    I'm not overly keen to try the locking her in the cage bit [​IMG].

Maybe I should just get her some darn eggs [​IMG] but I'm not sure I trust her that this is going to last.

Before I send her to chicken-prison is there anything else I can try?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Best method is to put her in a wire bottom cage off the ground for 3-5 days or until you can see she's not broody any more. Best to have it in the coop, in a spot where she won't get too hot in this summer heat. I have to have a fan in mine. Just broke yet another broody that way myself. My BO's have all been broody twice already this year.

PS - Yes, they can be broody on nothing. Or a golf ball, a stuffed toy, a Power Ranger, anything small enough that they sit on it, I think [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    That is a good question. I have only had one hen go broody and that is when I added new chicks (well young pullets) into the bantam cage. my Millie D'Uccle went broody and "mothered" the pullets. I would love for one to go broody and set some eggs for me to be honest lol. I would like to follow this post to see if anyone give u any good ideas to "break" a hen of being broody just in case I ever need it. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by