Broody one day not broody the next?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsc1951, Apr 8, 2012.

1. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I have a Light Brahma approx 7 months old who acts like she is going broody - sits on whatever eggs are in the nest - for as long as 18-24 hours then it's over and she is completely back to b eing herself. She has always been a "special"** chicken but she has done this three times in the last few weeks. Is she practicing? Has anyone else's chicken(s) done this? What's up? I don't have a roo, but just wondering if it could be hormones or what. **Special as in she doesn't always play well with the others, doesn't like to share food, doesn't want any of the other girls on my lap except her, is always the last one in the coop and squawks about it every night.

2. SilkieCrazy123

SilkieCrazy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Antelope, CA America
    my dominant production red and my broiler both want to lays eggs, but they cant.the red is too old, and i don't know whats with the broiler. They like to sit in the coop for a few hours, and the broiler LOVES to make large round nests.It could be that very deep-buried motherly insincts pop up a few times, and they can't resist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by