1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody or Egg Bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FeatherFox, Jun 22, 2016.

1. FeatherFox

FeatherFox New Egg

Feb 12, 2016
    I have a Rhode Island Red hen named Helen, and has been in the nest box all day. One of my other hens was egg bound recently, and I am a little concerned that she is egg bound, too. However, unlike my other hen who I could clearly tell was trying to push an egg out, Helen was pushing at all. Every time I open the door into the nest box, I am greeted by a loud cluck and her ruffling her feathers possibly trying to appear bigger. Trying to feel the eggs under her or moving her was not allowed! I put another egg in there to see what she would do, and after intensely staring at it for a moment, she rolled it under her. Does anyone have any ideas whether she is broody or not? Thanks in advance!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It does sound as if she may be going broody.

3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

That loud squawk and ruffling of feathers...sounds like a broody bird to me. If you pick her up and she Ruffles her feathers & feels limp, like dead weight...that's a broody bird.

To me, an egg bound bird looks like they are in pain. They tend to stay by themselves a lot, and they just don't seem....happy. (For lack of a better word.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by