Broody or egg bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by domromer, May 12, 2008.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Today one of my hens stayed in the nest box all afternoon. Even when it became dusk she stayed outside in the next box while the other hens went to bed. My wife went to move her into the night house and she raised her feathers and hissed like when the other girls bother her in the nest box. We got her inside and she went right back into the nest box.

I can't tell wether she's egg bound or had become broody. She's a year old.

We felt her abdomen and didn't feel anything hard like an egg. I'm not sure whether we should try the warm water bath now or wait till the morning. She just started this behavior this afternoon.

She's in the nighttime coop now but still in the nest box. Will a broody hen try to sleep in the nest box instead of the perch?

Your thoughts?

2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Sounds like she is broody to me. That is what my hens do whenever they become broody. I have one sitting on 11 eggs now. I had to move her to a seperate coop because she kept dragging the other eggs into her nest.

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    A broody hen will stay on the nest. Getting off occasionally to eat, drink and poop. I find that the closer it is to hatch date, then the less she gets off to eat, drink and poop. I have heard of hens sitting on eggs and not getting off at all. Some will sit on the eggs until they die, waiting on eggs that will never hatch. I would either give her fertile eggs to hatch (what I had to do) or try to break her from being broody.

Dorothy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by