Broody or egg bound??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by presley, Dec 23, 2011.

1. presley

presley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    I have a hen who has only been laying for about a month. Yesterday she sat in a nesting box all day, and all night last night. When I went out to check on her last night about 7:30, I did find an egg, about to fall out of box that I possibly could have missed earlier because I didn't check from the other side of box, so I don't know when she had it. She was fine, sleeping. She is still in box this morning, I gave her some food, and she ate it , but seems hostile toward me, makes "mean" clucking noises when I try to dislodge her from the box. Does this seem to be broody behavior? She doesn't seem to be in any kind of pain or distress.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Sounds broody to me. Does she sort of zone out a bit? Sometimes the term "zombie pancake hen" fits perfectly.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, sounds broody to me too. They get snappy. An egg bound bird will be too uncomfortable to be mean. They'll usually go in and out of the nest and you'll see the vent pulsing. A broody just sits.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, she sounds broody.

5. presley

Jun 21, 2011
    yeah that sounds just like her. I just came in from watering them, she's still there. Tried to nudge her out, no way is she going anywhere! I don't have fertile eggs, have one rooster but don't think he's old enough for the job yet, so don't think her eggs would be fertile anyway. Should I just leave her alone? Or try to find her some fertile eggs somewhere?

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  7. presley

Jun 21, 2011
    Southern Alabama. So if I buy eggs, I just put them under her and let her do the rest? And what if she's not broody by time eggs get here? I've never done this before , only had chickens 6 months!!

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I usually make them sit on an empty nest for 2 nights before giving them eggs. By then they are usually serious about it.

As for not being broody when the eggs arrive, that's why you don't buy expensive eggs for a first time broody. Most hens will sit the entire time, but sometimes they quit mid way through. There's no way to know until you give her the chance.

What breed is she?

9. presley

Jun 21, 2011
    She is cuckoo marans . When I got her I thought she was barred rock, but her eggs are chocolate brown. I posted pics in the what breed section everyone agreed cuckoo marans. I have 2 just alike.

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Marans are usually good broodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by