Broody or Eggbound???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ENLuby, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ENLuby

ENLuby New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    I have a 9 month old Wyandotte that hasn't laid an egg in approximately 5 days. She is staying in the coop and sits on the other chickens eggs. If I remove the eggs she continues to stay in the coop. If you pet her or move her she makes a bit of a gutteral noise. She also sticks her rear straight up but does not seem to be uncomfortable.

Any suggestions???

2. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    sounds like broody to me. does she screach when you get close? does she puff up like a porcupine? does she stay in one spot and not get up to eat until you get her up? i thought mine was sick but she ended up to be broody. how old is she?

3. ENLuby

ENLuby New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    She doesn't screech but does puff up quite a bit. She will not get up until I physically get her up. She is 9 months old and has been a prolific layer until the last 5 days.

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Bet you have a broody.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Had my first broody last month- she pecked a circle of belly feathers out and 'claimed' eggs from the others. Fluffed, muttered, guarded the eggs. Get the eggs out as soon as possible, and if you have layers that leave eggs later in the day it helps to get those as fast as you can, too. Your hen may lose weight, dehydrate, stay on the nest without food and waterand get persnickity. Unless you are raising chicks with her, break the cycle as fast as you can and keep an eye on her weight. My girl took two weeks to return to normal- she's a sweetie now and back to her normal weight, and laying.

6. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    yea i think she is broody, usually when they are egg bound you can sense something is kinda wrong....is this a good thing for you if she is broody? do you like that?

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi

Yesl, my vote is that she is broody! Good luck! Genie

8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

She sound broody, if you have a roo with the flock you can let her sit and hatch the eggs. Mother nature is the best incubator.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by