Broody or Incubator, whotch is the better option?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MohicanHase, Aug 1, 2014.

1. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chirping

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I am going to raise ducks, and I was wandering what is the better option? letting a Muscovy hatch the eggs? or getting an incubator? What has worked better for you all? It will be hatching Cayuga eggs if I get a Muscovy, which kinda would worry me because they are a medium breed ducks, and of course Muscovy are very large. Thanks! (sorry I think I posted this in the wrong place last time)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The broody always has a better success rate. An incubator always works when you plug it in. You can't turn a knob and make a broody. You don't need electricity or even worry about humidity, temperature and turning with a broody.

I wouldn't worry about the size. I've had turkeys hatch chicken eggs and bantam chickens hatch duck eggs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Songster

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Always go with the broody!!! Way less worry, they know what they are doing, I always fly by the seat of my pants... Power outage, family emergency, birth of a Grandchild.. None of that matters to the hen [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. [​IMG]
    A broody takes care of the egg's much better ......

[​IMG]
    And the broody turns into a brooder ....

[​IMG]
    An incubator you need to watch ......

[​IMG]
    And again more work .....

[​IMG]
    And the daily maintenance ..........

I go with the broody [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chirping

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio

6. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chirping

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    Also does the broody need to be in a special pen? then with the ducklings in a separate pen to? I am guessing ducks and chickens are the same with this kinda stuff.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A broody hen isn't laying eggs so doesn't need layer feed. Layer feed will hurt the chicks when they hatch if that's what they have to eat.

A broody mother will take care of her chicks wherever they are but I find it much simpler if she has her own apartment for her and the chicks. She will benefit from a starter feed and she doesn't really care to be with the flock.

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are going to mix your flock you need to start them off that way .....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: