Broody or Incubator???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Jul 31, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I just went to my coop and found one of my Dominiques sitting on eggs, when I tried to remove them, she screamed at me and bit me, so I am pretty sure she is broody. I just got my eggs from Pips & Peeps today, so my question is do I put them under her or in my incubator??

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I would say do whatever you feel comfortable doing. I have hatched in my bator and with a broody. There is a higher risk of them getting broken with a broody in my opinion. My broody had 10 eggs under her and by the time she hatched out there were 3 eggs left. All the others she broke getting in and out of the nest. So I would say incubator but that is just my personal opinion.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Broody is SOOOOOO much easier [​IMG] and there is no trouble getting chicks introduced to the flock cause they're already THERE.

I have two broody's working right now and one mom with one baby.
    My broody's are sitting on Guinea eggs, the one broody has been sitting the whole time - she got 3 to start and I added 1 later (it had been in the incubator so will hatch the same time) the other broody was on and off, on and off, so she's only going to sit for a total of 2 weeks and be done - got 6 days or so left - she has 7 eggs.

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I prefer the broody way but you could do both. I believe hen raised chicks are healthier. It depends on you and how much trouble you want to put into a incubator. There is negatives and pluses to each side. I like to see the interaction between hen and chicks. Some believe hen raised chicks are more stand offish to human than incubator chicks, but I prefer the way mother nature intended and that goes for even the chicks to be in a family flock inviorment.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Ugh, I don't know what to do. Maybe I will put half in the bator and half with the broody??

6. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Quote:That isn't a bad idea! I say go for it!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think that's a good idea, Steff. I love broody hatched chicks; so much less work!

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I've got 6 under a broody and 18 in my bator, both sets on day 8.

Ooops... make that 5 under my broody... she broke one today.

I intend to take the chicks that hatch in my bator and put them under my broody hen, she won't mind since the eggs under her should hatch at the same time.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Would that be Iris or Hazel this time, Lee, LOL?

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Its Iris.

She always manages to break 1 or 2, but shes such a great mama that I can live with the loss.

Bad thing is you gotta clean her and the nest up when it happens, and she does not like baths!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by