Broody or just learning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenLady♡, May 15, 2019 at 3:44 AM.

1. ChickenLady♡

ChickenLady♡ Songster

Oct 13, 2018
    Adelaide, Australia
    I have a young hen that has just turned 7 months - her name is Delilah. She is a sussex / wyandotte cross. She only started laying a few weeks ago and has laid fairly sporadically since (it is turning winter here and my few laying birds only seem to lay 2 or 3 times a week). On the couple of days I've seen Delilah lay she seems to spend a long time in the box and i end up pushing her out after an hour or two. Today she was in the nesting box when i left for work at 7.30am and she was still there when I got home at 5.30pm. She was sitting in several eggs so im not sure if someone else got in with her or if she has been in and out through the day. She didnt peck at me but she made a big squawking noise and seemed to be fairly 'spread out' or flattened out in the box (which I've read is something that broodies do). She wasn't going to budge so in the end I picked her up and put her on the ground but she stayed in that really flattened out position and sat on the ground rather than standing up or running off. I picked her up again and stirred her up a bit with some pats and put her down near the food bowl and she acted more normally and had something to eat. It was almost dark by that point so I'm presuming she has gone to bed with the others and not returned to the box (I took the eggs away).

Is she possibly going broody even though she's only a new layer and winter is about to hit? Or is she just acting this way because she has her 'L' plates on? Should I do anything specific with her - what if she does go broody and it will be winter soon?

2. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds In the Brooder

Monday
    Maine
    See if she spends the night in the nesting box and she stays on it all day. She will get up for an hour or so to take a break, then go back to the nest. If she is on the nest for 24 hours, then she is probably broody.
    Chickens usually go broody in the spring, but I had a hen who went broody in the middle of winter.
    I would also lift her up and see if she plucked the feather off her breast. Then she is definitely broody.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That sure sounds like broody to me!!

What are 'L' plates? Ohhhh, learner plates?

Yes, they can go broody that young and in the fall, have had it happen several times here.
    You'll have to decide if you want her to hatch chicks or not....I'd break her broody by continuing to toss her out of the nest. The pullets I have had go broody are easily broken without resorting to a breaker crate...they are likely to go broody again in the spring.

4. ChickenLady♡

ChickenLady♡ Songster

Oct 13, 2018
    Adelaide, Australia
    Ha ha, yes learner plates! :clap

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sure sounds broody.

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Had to google it ;)

7. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    I must have a big “L” on my forehead cause I still have no idea what learner plates are. :idunno

ChickenLady♡ likes this.
  8. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    Aha, but I didn’t google it either. Smart cookie @aart.

ChickenLady♡ likes this.
  9. noregerts

noregerts Chirping

Feb 24, 2019
    East TN
    Broody. 100%.

ChickenLady♡ likes this.
  10. ChickenLady♡

ChickenLady♡ Songster

Oct 13, 2018
    Adelaide, Australia
    'L's are your learner driver plates. We say you "get your L's" when you get a learners licence here in Aus. So funny that I didn't even think that might not translate!
    :th

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: