Broody, or just one tough cookie?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by padlow11, Mar 1, 2014.

1. padlow11

padlow11 New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    We began our chicken adventure with 3 hens and a roo, all RIR who free-range during the day and are locked in the coop at night. Unfortunately, one evening when I went to close them up I found the rooster had disappeared without a trace, and concluded the owl from the back of the property was to blame. Then, roughly a month later one of the hens seemingly met the same fate-no blood, feathers, anything. Much to our surprise today, 13 days later, she showed up in the goat pen at daybreak looking pretty ragged. Stinky, drooping wings, and limping.
    My question; is it likely she's been hiding out, sitting on an unfertilized clutch for two weeks and has finally thrown in the towel, or perhaps the owl dropped her in the woods behind the house and she's been homeward bound all this time? There is a neighbor with a rooster that crows pretty regular a ways down the road so maybe she hit the road in search of some scooter??

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

If only they could talk? It doesn't sound like she's broody, she would've stayed near the nest if she was and she would've picked a place close to home where she can access food and water. I am glad to hear she came home though!

3. padlow11

padlow11 New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Just wanted to update!! The hen that showed back up after she had been missing for 13 days is doing great!! She is back to health and normal and getting along with the other hens again. We kept her quarantined for a week just to make sure she was OK. : ) Great news!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by