Broody or not broody, that is the question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Javafan, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Javafan

Javafan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    I have 3 hens in my backyard. Started almost 3 months ago. I have 2 Javas and one Golden Wyandotte. I love them and have a lot of fun. One of the Javas has started about a week ago to stop roosting at night. She just stays on the floor of the coop. When I put her on the roost, she seems to stay for the night.

However, she is now staying on the floor of the coop 1/3 to 1/2 of the day. When I remove her, she sometimes gets out and runs about or sometimes comes right back and lays her egg. Yesterday, I noticed that she was about to lay when I removed her and the poor thing had to finish the job standing up. I felt so bad when that egg hit the coop floor that I am wondering what I should do.

So are there any fast rules about detecting broodiness? If she is not broody, what is going on? She is not hurt and is eating. The only thing is that I noticed she seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order. The others are not "mean", but they will just push her to get to the tidbits of treats I give them. I make sure she gets her share, but do they "suffer" somehow to be in that position? Is it like middle school again?

Thanks to all.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by